Monday, August 18, 2008

The Simple Pleasures of Centerville, Indiana

What a WONDERFUL visit I had in Indiana over the weekend!!! I got to visit Grandma Rhodes, Aunt Connie, and Uncle Bob. First we got to visit "Larry" a camel that a local family has. He gets so excited when you pull up to visit him--he dances, gives you kisses, and will even suck your thumb!!! He is so sweet--I love Larry! Aunt Connie and Uncle Bob showed me their evening routine of riding the golf carts to a favorite spot to catch the sunset over the fields (in Indiana there are corn fields and soybean fields everywhere). There is a local man that makes pottery--Scott Schafer-- we went to visit his gallery and there was a note on the door that said "I had to be gone for awhile--if you see anything you like, leave your money on the counter"--I LOVE THAT!!! The honor system. Small towns are special! I got 2 coffee mugs. Got to spend the afternoon visiting with Grandma and Aunt Jerrie. They are sisters and they grew up at the family farm in Indiana "Westcott Place Farm". Aunt Connie and Uncle Bob just got a sweet, new dog that they rescued named "Chocolate Chip". The big tree in the front yard at the farm got trimmed while I was there and we moved all the branches to the bonfire pile. I learned a lesson about Rental Cars--- don't do the "gas option" that they give you if you aren't going to use a full tank of gas. I was a sucker and fell for it and paid for a whole tank of gas on top of the rental car price and I only drove 92 miles-- so, Uncle Bob and AJ helped try to siphon out the gas--but it didn't work. Total Bill for rental car that I was only in for an hour and a half= $144!!!! You live and you learn!!! On Saturday we drove to celebrate with our dear family friends the Mawbeys. It was Basil Mawbey's Retirement Party from coaching basketball. We met the Mawbey's when my dad and Basil coached together for years and then won the State Championship in 1983 (which is HUGE in Indiana!). The Mawbeys are Basil, Eileen, Leah, Dawn, Chrissy, and Cary. Now all the kids are married and have kids of their own--so it was SO GREAT to hang out with them and catch up. I was sad because Brandon, Mom, and Cappie were suppose to be there for the weekend too--but they were flying standby and the flights were booked. It was fantastic to spend time with family and friends and be back home again in Indiana.

No comments: