Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Copperheads & Car Crashes

Two crazy, random things have happened in the past 24 hours. Last night at dusk I was taking Hank on a walk--he was running around, not on a leash-- he smelled something and jumped away-when I got closer I saw that it was a snake. I didn't think much of it but I had my cell phone with me so I called Brandon to see if he wanted to come look at it--he came and brought a flash light-- when he shined it on the snake it was curled up with his head in striking position- it was a copperhead-then Brandon shined the flashlight on Hank and he had to fang marks on his nose. We jumped in the car and headed to the Emergency Vet. The vet said that copperheads are the least venomous of the poisonous snakes in Ga--but they are one of the most painful. They don't give anti-venom--but he got and IV and some shots (antibiotic, pain meds, steroid, and benadryl). He was really tired, groggy, and swollen-- but he is doing just fine. We are keeping a close eye on him and watching for possible infection. The vet said that infection is of concern because there is so much bacteria in a snake's mouth. For now all is well!!

Today at work there was a freak accident in the parking lot. My friend Susan's car is the smashed Civic in the middle--and it was parked in the parking spot. Two families got in a wreck in the lot and then the driver of the van that got hit accidentally slammed on the GAS rather than the BREAK--it caused the van to jump the curb and land on the back of the Civic and slide down-- the van was in the air! All of the windows shattered in the civic and it was pushed into the Acura of our Physician Assistant Nancy. No one was hurt--but everyone was shaken up. I didn't know it was possible to TOTAL a car in a parking lot. Poor Susan--she had just finished getting her car fixed a couple of months ago from getting rear-ended. Her car was a 2005 and it was paid off!!! It stinks how sometime you get stuck paying the consequences for things when they aren't even your fault!! The good news is--we can buy new cars, but we can't buy new people--so thank goodness everyone is OK!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Poor Hank! That would have scared me to death to see a copperhead in my yard!!!